MEST4 Preliminary exercise: evaluation

1) Why did you choose this particular recreation and how does it link to your main production?
I chose this recreation because I thought it would be an easy scene to recreate and I like the psychological thriller aspect of it, something I'm hoping to incorporate in my main production. I think 'The Forest' links to my main production because its protagonist is a young woman who independently uses her initiative to travel alone to Japan to look for her sister. She even goes so far as to insist her guides leave her in the forest, heightening the sense of her independence.

2) What difficulties did you face in producing this recreation?
One of the biggest difficulties I faced was lighting. It was hard to position the lights around the tent, making them close enough to illuminate my face but also not too close because I was using candles so putting them too close to the tent could have caused a fire hazard. I think I'd also not thought about the lack of space I and my camera operator had in a one man tent and this made it hard to get each moment perfectly captured, especially since this particular scene is all one shot.

3) What are the strengths of the production?
I think one of the biggest strengths of my production was audio (however not necessarily audio levels. The use of the campfire ambience in post production created a much stronger sense of realism, making the scene more believable. 

4) What aspects would you look to improve?

I think were I to do this recreation again, I would have made a lighting plan in advance to ensure that the lighting had a closer resemblance to that of the original clip. I also would have ensured that the audio levels were altered to again, replicate the original clip as closely as possible and also to make the dialogue a lot easier to understand. I also looked at the camera at one point so that should not happen again.

5) What lessons will you take from this process that will help you with your main production?
One of the main lessons I will take from this process is that audio levels need to be very well balanced in order for the production to be successful and believable. I also need to be more considerate of lighting and of how lighting creates moods in certain genres, particularly the genre my main production will be.

6) Now that you are ready to start your actual linked production, explain clearly what you will be creating and how confident you are in delivering this.

I am now certain that I will be creating the opening to an adventure thriller - potentially with psychological elements - that has a clearly independent female lead, similar to the Hunger Games and I am fairly confident that my delivery of this will be of a good standard.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Notes and Quotes

Critical Investigation - Introduction

Critical Investigation - First Draft